Wednesday, December 5, 2007

There Must Be Something Wrong With Me

No smart comments necessary!

So, Masen talked me into coaching 9-10 yr. old basketball at the Boys & Girls Club. I have done this before, coached her teams, but it isn't the most pleasant of tasks, so I have backed off in the past couple of years and appointed myself the "assistant" coach and didn't put my name on the dotted line. But I gave in and went to tryouts and the "draft" last night. That's right I said draft. And this is where I wonder if there is a screw loose in my thinking, but isn't this supposed to a fun learning experience for these kids? We had a few parent/Pat Riley wannabe's who approached our task as though we were choosing sides for a shot at world domination and multi million $ Nike endorsements. After an hour and a half of bargaining and arguing, the desire to knock someone into next summer with my clipboard was almost more than I could control. Heck I didn't even really WANT to control it. But, alas, I did and no one exited the building bruised. Today I went to sign up for practice dates and YOUHAVEGOTTOBEKIDDINGME some of these people have their girls practicing no less than three nights a week, every week before league starts in JANUARY. We are talking about 9-10 yr old BOYS & GIRLS CLUB LEAGUE. The only "awards" given are those bought by the coaches and parents for their own teams.

Did you feel that?? Common sense just took a hit!

Oh and I'll let you know when my team kicks their butts.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I wanna be a cheerleader...I have my cheer already done...Can you guess what I will be singing? HEY ****** Hey ****** !!!!! Ok, getting past that... I am so proud that you were able to control yourself, as I would have not been able to probably. lol I will just come watch and yes, CHEER!!!!