Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Hey Swarovski...rhinestone THIS!

I spent sunday night finishing Macy's competition dress. I sat in the living room floor watching the American Gladiator's finale with Chris with a bottle of glue, a pink and blue dress, a crayon, and a few hundred rhinestones. The child is going to look like a disco ball when she does her pirouettes. This entire process is foreign to me, even after having one competition season under my belt, as the only thing I was interested in growing up was basketball, and oh yeah, basketball. Heyyyy, maybe I can rhinestone me a basketball, hmm...Anyway, I am so proud of her, what it takes to get on that stage and perform, the confidence, the work, she is amazing to me in so many ways. I get told a lot (more than I care to hear it) that "your kids are too busy" or "they do too much". And, pushing aside the reflex to tell them to bite my ***, I can see their point. In my defense, however, my kids are not forced to do anything. The activities they are involved in, they ask to be. And as long as they enjoy it, work at it, and are making A's in school, they will be allowed to try whatever they want to try, with my 100% support. I want my kids to find their "passions", to find out who they are and what makes them happy. How can they do that if they don't have those opportunities? I think they are both limitless in their abilities and I never want to be the one to limit them.

Now, where is my glue gun?

No comments: